Last week, I was looking for articles related to link building then I found a lot of articles regarding the preferred ways of building links for websites i.e. white hat link building techniques.
What do you think?Is it possible to rank in Search results with No backlinks?
As Matt Cutts has said that natural links are better than unnatural, So we all should focus on building natural links. After all Google is doing everything for better user experience, So we should focus on users rather then search engines.
So I have decided to share techniques and things webmasters are doing which they should not do for the better SEO of their website.
1. Using Keyword Rich Anchor text for Link Building
Using keyword rich anchor text is allowed but it is not recommended to build all the links with exact match keywords as an anchor text.
It is recommended to create an optimized link profile by using different variations of anchor texts.
Read: How expedia.com loose their 25% of traffic for building links with exact match anchor text, Google considered them as paid links.
How a good link profile helps a website:
- Websites with good link profile ranks higher in search results
- A good link profile is built with high quality back links
- Quality of back links is determined mainly using anchor text
- More diversity in anchor text, more the link profile is optimized
2. Building links outside your Niche
A few months ago, a website docsheldon.com was penalized by Google for placing one off topic link in their content. The docsheldon blog is about SEO and the link was going out to some lead generation pitch about big data, which was not related to SEO in any means.
Read: Comprehensive keyword research guide for SEO in 2014
3. Participating in Forums and using keyword Rich Signatures
Participation in forums is really very good way of sharing information, build relationships and discussing topics only if it is done in the way it is described above.
Dropping website or blog articles links in discussions is also not a recommended way of building links.
You can use different variation of your brand name, naked url’s in signature as an anchor text, just like in the image below.
4. Doing Guest Posting Only for a Back Link
“Guest posting is dead”, Matt Cutts announced this a few months ago on his blog, But is this true?
Is there any scope of guest posting in future? Yes
If you have checked Searchengineland.com, then you can see there that Barry schwartz is an author there and in each of his posts there are links going out to this websites with their names.
5. Buying or Selling Links for Money or Free Services
Paid links are the biggest NO in SEO, in last six months Google has been very strict on this and has penalized so many blog and link networks and still doing.
- Exchanging money for giving or getting link that pass Page rank i.e. a dofollow link
- Exchanging goods or free services for links
- Ex. You are writing about any gadget, charging some amount or taking their paid services free of cost and giving link back to their site
6. Excessive Link Exchanges with other Websites
7. Submitting Articles to Directories
8. Hidden links in Widgets with Keyword Rich Anchor Texts
- Keyword rich, hidden or low quality links embedded in widgets or any plugins that are distributed across various sites.
- Adding a link back at the bottom of the theme is also not recommended, If you are building links of this type then make sure that these links are nofollow.
9. Building Reciprocal links with Web Directories
Building links with web directories has been one of the most popular way of getting links. There are thousands of high quality web directories are present over internet, which allows to submit your website under a specific category, then they will review your website and add it to their website.
There are mainly three ways of link building with web directories
- Pay some amount and get the link ( takes 1 day )
- Add website badge or link in website html code ( takes 2 days )
- Free directory submission ( takes 3-4 months )
10. Links from Footer & Sidebar
Footer links are not recommended by Google, Giving links to other websites in footer or sidebar is not a good way and that may cause your website to get penalized.
If you are linking your other websites then make sure that you make footer or sidebar links as nofollow.
11. Linking to Illegal or Penalized Websites
Matt cutts is saying in a video that Google stop considering all the links going out from a penalized website, So if you are getting any back link from a website penalized by Google, then there is no value of that link.
12. Commenting on Blogs with Keyword Rich Anchor text
13. Submitting Entries on Low Quality Press release & Social Bookmarking Sites
Press release are a very good way to promote your brand, But the site doing press release should submit it to high quality press release websites.
There are so many low quality websites are present on the website and they provide press release and a back link free of cost but those low quality sites are not recommended and sometimes they penalized by Google for spamming. So its better submit press release to high quality websites.
There are many social bookmarking websites are evolving these days, but most of them are low quality and allows spamming on their site.
Don’t submit your entries on low quality sites as it makes negative impact on website sometimes.